The site and its history

Located near the Thiepval Memorial to the fallen French and British soldiers, in the heart of the Somme battlefields, the Historial has been open to visitors since 2004. Serving as an introduction to the museum, which opened in 2016, the Visitor Centre recounts the history of the Great War, the Battle of the Somme and the creation of the Thiepval Memorial.

The museum

The museum itself, inaugurated on 1st June 2016, is dedicated to the history of the Battles of the Somme, particularly the great battle of 1916, and the memory of the soldiers who lost their lives in the conflict.

visits and tours